The World the Way I See It

Sunday, November 21, 2004

Hackers United

On Cyberpunk: Outlaws & Hackers on the Computer Frontier: I think it's neat that hackers are compared to frontiersmen on the verge of discovery. I disagree with the idea of hackers in the 60s and 70s as having a positive connotation - what did they do to get it? Fact check, find security breaches, or just have fun with no sense of gain at someone else's expense? I don't believe that that era was some kind of "golden age" when theft never happened. Well, maybe one bad apple spoiled the bunch. I don't know.

I like how the stories are filled with detail and sound like fiction - i guess it's those that seem the wildest (like RTM and the accidental release of his daemon) are actually true. This story especially hits home the idea that the limits of computer tech haven't yet been found.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home