The World the Way I See It

Monday, October 25, 2004

Globalization - not to be taken lightly

I was thinking about globalization and Thomas Friedman's book, The Lexus and the Olive Tree, and I still think that globalization is a good idea overall that will have really bad consequences if it's exploited. I'm definitely going to read it. I'd like to direct you to International Living.com that flags the hottest new markets to people with the means to take full advantage of them. On the surface they advertise the best places to live around the world for cheap: which countries are starting to get roads and cities, which countries are about to become part of the European market, or which places are just plain cheap because of the exchange rates. (I started subscribing to them because I like the pretty pictures in my mailbox everyday - absolutely beautiful.)
However, there is an undertone of greed in truest capitalist fashion. In reality, they are pinpointing places for Americans (and others) to buy up all the real estate and resources from native people all over the planet just so they can save a buck. The newsletters seem to say, "take advantage of these people and this land because this is the right time and if you don't, someone else will." This is especially true in the supplemental advertising describing "secret investment tips," "invest in teak wood" and the like.
I guess it makes sense if these are the people who like travel and have money, etc. But Friedman's idea of cattle stampeding to whichever market or area is easiest to monopolize is a scary idea to me because it means people and corporations are simply running straight to money without regard for people, environment, or consequences.
Aah, money and power. Not to say that I don't like money and power, or capitalism for that matter, but they're all things that can be used for good or for evil. I fear a world with lots of Lexuses and very few olive trees.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home