The World the Way I See It

Tuesday, September 21, 2004

where the wild things are

From Sept 7:
I have always loved the book Where the Wild Things Are, and so a retelling of the book in this format has some high expectations to meet. This is not at all what I expected: it's a completely different story, but a good one, I think, if only I could figure out how to get the pages to tell the story in a way that makes sense in terms of plot. I'm annoyed to have to go around in circles.
And it was still hot.
Revision: I re-read the "re-telling" of the book, and it just doesn't do it for me. I think it's missing the whimsy, for lack of a better word. A boy who travels to an island of monsters? Sure! But the story of the "pistol-packing mama" lacks a certain spark that the original has. I'm really surprised that Maurice Sendak himself doesn't have a better website as an artist and an author.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home