The World the Way I See It

Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Orbital

I'm glad there's an explanation of this piece, because otherwise I would be really, really lost. The blizzard of words on the screen is pretty, and would make an awesome screen saver, but I can't really make them out or assemble them into a coherent thought. I am now neutral toward the poem "orbital,", perhaps because after everything else, the plain text is random.

Revision:
I now agree with what we were talking about from class last week with Remediation: Understanding New Media that if the site is designed well, then content and form can converge. This viewing of Orbital is what has changed my opinion from not liking the poem to being able to appreciate the work as a whole. I guess at first glance I was expecting to see a real poem, maybe with some stanzas, but I didn't realize that the IP address dictates which words come flying across the screen. I think Amanda's comment that Orbital is "one of the most fitting uses of cyber text" is interesting because it leads back to what we had decided in class that something extra must be added to the website. Call it a piece of "flair," call it whatever you want, but it just can't be a poem put up online. Otherwise, it looks like a souped-up powerpoint presentation. Of course, it remains to be seen what my own project will be...




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home