The World the Way I See It

Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Multitasking: The Next Step in Human Evolution

This morning, I'm sitting here reading from pieces of paper, typing and reading on the screen, and I've got some Red Hot Chili Peppers playing in the background just to keep me awake and moving. The phone is ringing, and my VCR just started itself to tape all the TV shows I don't have time to watch. Multitasking, which perhaps used to be a special skill like a magic trick, is now something that everyone should be able to do to keep up with our fast-paced society. Emily's post states that the audience has to be disciplined in order to use the technology. As children, we learned to do tasks individually, and when we mastered them, we were able to add on more responsibilities. I think now the technology is so cutting-edge and people are so busy that they are distracted from learning the new stuff because their opportunity for education runs concurrently alongside everything else. Maybe it's because of Situated Cognition: with everything being based on associations, people are forced to lean upon what they know to get them through the unknown.

1 Comments:

  • I think often about whether technology has improved my ability to multitask. I have found for the most part it does, especially use of cell phone and palm pilot. I tend to be very disorganized, so these tools are compact aides for sure. If my office and garage were as neatly arranged as the numbers, notes, reminders on the cell and palm, then my ability to multitask would be even greater.

    So now am looking forward to the mass production of robots that clean homes, actually. I know there are people I can pay to do this, but I am more reluctant to let a person into my dust, clutter and laundry than I am a robot. Even better, perhaps this robot could cook.

    On the other hand, I have made my life more complicated by having email. I am in touch with many more people on a regular basis than I would be in touch with if there were no www. This is an area that requires more juggle time, and find that I successfully squeeze in emails in a way that I find it harder to squeeze in the reading of novels, the feeding of the poor, etc.

    By Blogger Liz Schleeper, At September 21, 2004 at 2:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home