The World the Way I See It

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

US News' Article About Rebates is Really About Dumb People

So first, I'm really surprised to return to my blog, only to find that because my Gmail account is open, that I don't have to log in to Blogger. I just go straight to the Dashboard. It's really strange, like all the doors are open even if I don't want them to be.

Anywho, the reason why I write is because I think the recent US News & World Report article "Why Shoppers Love to Hate Rebates" is missing the point. The author and her sources want to blame the companies for being shifty in how they decide to give out rebates. There's even legislation for companies to give consumers more time to fill out rebates. The point is that it won't make any difference. If you're too dumb to follow instructions, then find someone who can help you. Or don't buy something with a rebate if you know you're not going to send in the form.

What's missing from the article is a description of fulfillment companies' reluctance to give out rebate money that people should get when they do do everything right. How many phone calls did it take to get my $20 rebate check from Vivitar's fulfillment company? at least 4. Each time I talked to a human, I was told that the rebate was being processed or had been processed and was waiting for a check to be sent. I really think they were trying to wait me out so that I wouldn't bother. They had no reason not to give me my own money back, and once they get your money, they're slooooooooow to get up off of it. Rebates take a lot of time and vigilance, and consumers, especially stupid ones, don't want to put in the effort. So don't. Leave it to the pros, people like me.

And I think the legislation that they propose in the article is stupid. Publicizing redemption rates will fool consumers into thinking that their chances of getting their money back are low - it's money they're entitled to. If people are dumb enough to buy something and not follow the instructions to get a rebate, then it's their fault that they paid more than they should have. Knowing how many people are smarter than they are won't help them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home