The World the Way I See It

Sunday, May 06, 2007

Romania Eve

Yeah! Two posts in two days! It's like when you start exercising and you've done it two days in a row and you think you're invincible and that you really can do this forever. I'm not fooling myself, though, 'cause I know I will not be writing at all tomorrow because my butt will be doing the "sleep-for-2-hours, watch-movie-for-2-hours" all the way to Bucharest. I wasn't jet lagged when I did that on two 8hr flights to Nairobi, but I think it was because I confused my body to the point where it didn't matter what was going on. The plan: if you're not sleeping, then you'd better be eating, and if you're not eating, go to sleep. Simple.

So... I leave tomorrow, and I'm a little nervous (mom: proud) about flying somewhere where I don't speak the language, don't look remotely like the native folks, don't even know the people that I'm gonna be spending the next 3 weeks of my life with. When I'm not nervous, though, I think this feeling of anticipation might be better than Christmas. I have spent the entire day packing - not that I am a "everything but the kitchen sink" packer, but more like "am I not going to be able to buy this in ROM and can I fit it all into 2 carry-on pieces of luggage?" - so...it's taken me a while to get it all in and I *think* I've done it. My mom has been a big help and I appreciate it. I talked to my Aunt tonight and she had me laughing hard warning me about "village love" - that I shouldn't give up wanting to return home if I fall in love with some Romanian dude. "We will come to the village and get you." She's like, "don't think that you don't need things like running water just because you have love. You still need certain things." Funny. Then she made all my cousins yell into the phone "Have Fun in Romania" and the amount of endearment mixed with apathy was perfect. I'll remember that for a long time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home